12.09.2009

Rick Steves, I Beg to Differ

After studying abroad in 2004 I became a tried and true fan of Rick Steves.  Rick writes travel guides for Europe that make you feel like you're getting sound advice from an old neighbor with a twist of bathroom humour and no American higher-than-thou-ness that we often get stereotyped for. I made fun of my co-American studying abroad who was IN LOVE with Rick at the time, but once I got a taste of the wonderfulness that is the Rick Steves travel guide - I too, was smitten. 

Rick and I have been buds ever since - I have a collection of his guides for countries I haven't even visited yet and others that have been torn and cut and read to death for places I have visited.  They are all in a row on my mantle - blue and yellow Rick Steves books...

If you ever see a traveler with a Rick Steves guide - you can bet your Eurorail pass they're American. Take your guide to any restaurant listed in Rick's book and you are bound to run into another group of Ammurricannes who will undoubtedly strike up a conversation with you whether you wanted to gab whilst enjoying your amazing Italian pasta or not.

When I moved to Cannes, I decided to consult Rick - he had given me such solid advice in the past - what did he have to say about the Cote d'Azur?  Where were the places to go and see?  If my memory is correct, Rick dedicated about two pages to Cannes, maybe. He goes on to say that beyond the Croisette which is superficial and flashy (ok, yes, I hear ya Rick), there was nothing else to see except maybe the Suquet which is what they call the old town round these parts.  I think that he even advises people to skip it if they are on a short time frame.  Now after having lived in Cannes for two years, I would tend to agree with good ol' Rick - there is very little to see and/or do here so best to carry on to Antibes or Nice for some culture and character.  BUT I think that Rick left out one charming place that is very close to Cannes (I would even consider it Cannes because I can walk there!) - Le Cannet.  I know the French would say it's a completely different village but being an American from California which means that new cities actually have to be within driving distance, Le Cannet does not count as a "ville à part" for me.

On Sunday, Copain convinced me to get off of the couch, put down my coffee and go for a walk.  It's usually virtually impossible to get me off the couch on Sunday, but something about the sun shining and the eagerness in Copain's voice convinced me to get off my a**.  And we started walking....and walking....and walking...until we came upon the cutest little village at the top of Boulevard Carnot - a village that until now I had no idea existed (guess I need to get out more???).  How could Rick have missed this????!






A day in the Cannet followed by the Christmas market with vin chaud and chestnuts literally roasted on an open fire?? - perfect day plan for a guide book. Rick, are you taking notes?


Cannes - you're not so bad. I got your back.


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Salut! Comments may take a moment to appear on French Cannes Cannes. Thanks for reading - à bientôt!