11.21.2011

Cuisine de Cannes Cannes - Pumpkin Muffins

I've been in love with baking muffins ever since it started getting cold in Paris. Basically, I make a muffin batter base, and then I add whatever sounds good in the moment (or whatever I have in the cupboard!): apples, figs, raisins, cranberries, bananas. One thing never changes: cinnamon is always included in my recipes; it's my absolute favorite spice.

My newest creation - pumpkin muffins!  I take one to work with me every morning for breakfast and enjoy it with a cup of steaming hot coffee.  It's my morning happiness and is delicious after my Velib adventure. 

My solution to American pumpkin in a can - Merci Picard!

Ingredients:
1/2 box of frozen purée de potiron from Picard (if you double the recipe, you will use the entire box)
2 cups flour 
1/2 tsp  salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (if you use self-rising flour (farine pour des gateaux), then you can leave this ingredient out)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more if you are like me and LOVE cinnamon!)
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
4 tbsp softened unsalted butter
3-4 tbsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/ cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
raisins, walnuts or dried oats are optional - I think this would also taste amazing with apples or dried cranberries!


My cookbook (and pumpkin in a bag :-)

Directions: (I've simplified here :-)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Cream together butter and sugars, then add the egg, pumpkin, vanilla and milk.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredients, saving the flour for last.  Don't over-mix the batter.  If you are using a silicon cupcake mold or cupcake paper cups, then there is no need to grease the pan.  However, if you are using a regular cupcake tin, use butter to grease before putting batter into the tin.  Bake 20-25 minutes.  Yields 6 huge muffins (FCC style!) or 8 to 10 smaller muffins. 

After 7 years in France, I still can't cook using the metric measurements! I have cups! If you'd like to switch to metric just go to this conversion chart.


All ready for the oven...

Bon Appétit!

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe, I have to try it! I love purée de potiron Picard, I never thought to use it this way, thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete

Salut! Comments may take a moment to appear on French Cannes Cannes. Thanks for reading - à bientôt!