3.10.2013

Paris Eats - Pause Café Brunch!

Despite how close we live to Pause Café, I'm only been there twice now. The cafe appeared in Cedric Klapisch's film, Chacun Cherche Son Chat and as a result, is always crowded. Usually when I'm hungry, I just can't wait one more minute to eat, so crowded (read: waiting) is not something we shoot for.

This time, however, we made a reservation for brunch (what a concept!) and there was no waiting to be done! We showed up to hipsters and poached eggs - a great combo for a Sunday morning.



I took a bunch of breaky photos, but my Iphone is having a minor breakdown and they are nowhere to be found.  My super-duper descriptive writing will have to do...

Brunch was 19.50 Euros per person and included the following:
  • fresh-squeezed OJ
  • big mug of coffee or tea (big is relative, it was actually what I would call "normal")
  • basket of baguette and mini-pain au chocolat / croissant, butter, jams and a jar of organic Nutella-like spread (Copain had a field-day with the nutella spread).
  • poached egg on an English muffin
  • mesclun salad
  • country potatoes (that were kind of like giant fries)
  • greek yogurt sauce (that we dipped the potatoes in)
  • yogurt with a mango drizzle and fresh fruit chopped up inside
Pluses: we were definitely full afterwards and the food was basically good. I especially liked the yogurt and fruit (it had pomegranate seeds!) and the poached egg. It was close to our house which meant no metro or biking, and the vibe was relaxed Sunday - 20 to 30 somethings, babies, strollers, chatter.

Minuses: the baguette was nothing special, just your run of the mill baguette. Same for the pain au chocolat and croissant - nothing that took my breath away. Coffee was not bottomless. We did get extra coffees, but the server made a point of telling us that she was making an exception (even though I offered to pay for my extra order...). I'm more of a bottomless coffee kind of gal...but what can you do?

Conclusion: for only 19.50, it's a great place to meet with friends in a chill atmosphere. Also, when I called for a reservation and told them that a baby would be eating with us, they made sure to give us a table that had room for a stroller next to it (not always easy in Paris!). As long as you don't go into it expecting food that is to die for and are mostly going for the ambiance, you won't be disappointed. Note: I have also eaten dinner here and I would say that the dinner food was much better! Also, the desserts were delish! You may even run into Romain Duris, who I definitely saw having an espresso on the terrace here once...

Feeling like a hipster brunch?

Pause Café
41 rue de Charonne
75011 Paris
Tel: 01 48 06 80 33
Metro: Ledru Rollin (line 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salut! Comments may take a moment to appear on French Cannes Cannes. Thanks for reading - à bientôt!