In Parisian apartment buildings, we live right on top of our neighbors and are often (malheureusement) privy to what happens chez eux. As a result, space is not the only big commodity - so is privacy. Parisians have had to get creative to make it work!
On my way back from a millefeuille break this afternoon, I caught some great Parisian creativity in action...
When you don't have a balcony AND you live in a shoebox...why not lock your bike to your window ledge?
A tree may grow in Brooklyn, but a forest grows in Paris...
A few things Copain and I have had to do since our move from 56 to 29 meters?
- Install hooks in our shower to hang our mop, broom etc
- Install a shelf in the toilet for cleaning supplies
- Stack our suitcases on top of our closets - feng shui? what's that?
- Prop up our bed on risers for prime "under the bed" storage space
- Cram our hollow storage couch with extra blankets and pillows and whatever else will fit
- Purchase a vertical silverware holder - the horizontal one took up the entire bottom kitchen shelf
- Become experts at eating on the couch (no room for a dining room table!)
- Restrict ourselves from purchasing any additional housing supplies - otherwise we might have to start locking things to our window ledge.
The upside -
- We can clean our house top to bottom in under 1 hour.
- We are rarely there - we enjoy Paris instead :-) - check out my millefeuille, enjoyed on Boulevard Voltaire, for proof!